Saturday, March 26, 2011

Buttons, baking and a bit of crochet

It's been a bit of a reuse/recycle kind of week for me. This gorgeous sparkly setting was actually stuck to the front of a lovely wee notebook my husband bought for me. It was far too nice to spend its life on a notebook so I carefully removed it and have attached a brooch fastener to the back. It looks amazing! I used to adore my Nana's collection of brooches when I was a little girl. She always wore one on her lovely handmade dresses and coats. I have some of her brooches in my jewellery box but I'm too scared to wear them in case I lose one. This one reminds me so much of her. It will look fab on my winter coat.

Going through my button jar last week, when I was finishing off my cushions, got me inspired to use up more of my vintage buttons. I have turned a few more of them into brooches which has got to be one of the cheapest and easiest ways of making jewellery. And you end up with something that nobody else has which is the best part! I love, love, love this button. It has a deco feel about it and it's quite big so makes a statement!


Here's the last one I made, three lovely old buttons glued together with a brooch clip on the back. I've also made some magnets doing the same thing with stacked buttons, you just glue a magnet to the back and you've got yourself a very cute and colourful way to display your small people's art on the fridge!

These ones are also in my button jar - they are gorgeous but huge! You can see them here against a regular sized button in the middle. Not quite sure what I'll use them for yet ... The pic doesn't really do them justice, they look different/brighter in real life but you get the idea.

There has still been time for crochet this week. I can't tear myself away from the orangey red/pink combination which I used in my cushion, so I'm going to have a go at using these lovely little granny squares in a scarf. I want to stitch them together in a similar way too but I'm not quite sure how that will work. Will keep you posted! Not a lot else to show you though as it's mostly been making more hats which you've already seen. Lots of requests for winter hats now that the temperature is slowly starting to drop here. And there are two new heads in our family this winter ... after waiting for such a long time to become an aunty - I now have a niece and a nephew! The cutest twins you've ever seen. We are off to visit them today - I can't wait to have a cuddle.

Miss 3 has been very crafty this week. We found these adorable tiny wee canvas and easel sets at a local bargain store. She sat for ages with the glue and the 'diamonds' happily creating her artwork. It's now proudly on display in her bedroom. I'm all for encouraging creativity in little people.

I had a hankering for apple pie yesterday so this little baby made the house smell delicious while it was baking. Mr 6 is now an apple pie convert! He had a big piece after dinner last night and was very positive in his food critic comments - very cute.

These muffins didn't last long! They were just too yummy to ignore, still warm from the oven. Here's the recipe if you want to whip up a batch ...

Hokey Pokey Choc Chip Muffins (Robyn Martin)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips
50g butter
¼ cup golden syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda

Lightly beat eggs and milk together. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips. Melt butter and golden syrup together. Mix in baking soda. Add to dry ingredients with egg mixture. Mix quickly until just combined. Three-quarters fill greased muffin pans with mixture. Bake at 190 degrees Celsius for 12-15 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly touched.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely post Leah!
    Love that green sparkly brooch you made - as you say, far too good for a noebook and so retro looking!
    I love htat bright colour combination too, its so cheerful - a scarf will look great.
    Looks like your little girl will take after her Mama with her creativity!
    Apple pie looks delish, as do those muffins - where do you get the lovely cases from?
    Thanks for sharing the recipe, will give those a whirl for sure!
    Seems odd seeing you with a saturday post when its still friday 5.30pm here!
    Have a great weekend!
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous post! So much yumminess of every variety!

    The brooches are brill! One of my Grandmothers had jewellery to die for and I LOVED visiting her and putting it all on! Being her only Grandaughter, most have been handed down to me now and I treasure them.

    I got some of those mini canvases and stands from a pound shop last year. I covered them in pretty papers and have pinned my favourite brooches on them and have them displayed on my bedside table!!!! They are such fun things to play with!

    The crochet looks divine and the muffins.....oh good grief! I have been on a baking frenzy recently so I really can't bake now for a while, but yours look sooooo tempting and the spotty cases are to die for!

    Have a lovely weekend and enjoy your baby cuddles!!

    Vanessa xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic button jewelry! Very inspiring. And your muffin recipe sounds delicious--I'm off to try it right away, just as soon as I figure out all the conversions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Leah, thankyou very much for your lovely comments, not so sure about the 'being talented' part, but thankyou thankyou. And yes yes yes i am missing my crochet hook, i have been a bit naughty on the odd occasion and just had to have a little go, but i think my hand is getting better, very slowly though. xx pixie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhhh i forgot to mention the sumptuous looking apple pie, you have definatly inspired me to make one of those today. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Leah, thanks for popping in and commenting on my blog, it's lovely to meet you and to see all your beautiful handmade and homemade creations xox I love your orange andpink cushions, one of my all time favourite colour combinations and in granny goodness style your's look perfect! Not to mention all that yummy baked apple pie and muffins, look forward to following your adventures xox Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Leah, your brooch is beautiful and I love that fresh green colour. I know what you mean about being excited about being an Aunty as I am going to be just that for the first time in about a month. My brother and his other half are expecting a baby boy. I made both him and my other brother Uncles over 15 years ago so it's been a long wait for me.

    I've just got round to blogging about the award you passed on to me so it should be on my blog shortly. Thank you again! Rachel Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely believe that this website needs a lot more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ll probably be returning to read more, thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You need to be a part of a contest for one of the finest websites on the net.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment! Have a fab day.